Jetblack Coin Gallery

The Home of US-Philippine Certified Coins

Member Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > 1828 Manila 8 Reales realizes $2500+

chiefpawpaw

This incredibly rare counterstruck coin sold for a hammer price of $2551, which is decent, but no where close to the seller's anticipated price. 

It was listed twice before at a buy-it-now price of $4500.  The buyer of this coin got a REALLY, REALLY good deal on this coin - or think of it as a late Christmas present.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110472300803&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

December 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

I know, I was watching this since it was listed the very first time. I was also tempted to offer the seller below the asking price, but I don't know the series enough to determine the price. I read something in another forum that they think this piece is fake even though PCGS certified it with grade.

December 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

I was watching that coin also. The only reason that I'm not the current owner is because I'm entertaining family over the holidays and missed the auction ending. I usually set the auction sniper but didn't this time, must be fate. After reading Chiefpawpaw's post I was starting to get a sick feeling in my stomach because my bid would have been higher than the winning bid. Then I read Bill's post and was relieved that I missed it.

January 1, 2010 at 11:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

The original owner/submitter of the coin revealed the history and authenticity of the coin in another forum. He bought it back just because another collector offer him more than the original price. I would have bid higher on this one if I know the series.

January 4, 2010 at 11:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.