Jetblack Coin Gallery

The Home of US-Philippine Certified Coins

Member Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > 1906-S Peso ICG 45, Sold in Stacks Auction

Jhinton

Did anyone here bid on the 1906-S, that just sold? It's in an ICG EF45 holder currenly but I have it on good authority, that it's on it's way to PCGS. ;)

http://stacksbowers.com/Auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?LotID=363475

August 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

I saw that and I did not bid for a reason. I beleived that this coin is fake (altered 6). Go back to the photo high resolution and you can see it closely the 1 is not straight. I could be wrong.

August 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jhinton

I explain it here: http://www.cointalk.com/t211560/ ;

and here:http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=863669&STARTPAGE=2

August 12, 2012 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neth

August 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neth

The coin in auction the ICG 45 had a curved serif but had other picture visable proper diagnostics so it was an egnima. A friend examined it in person for the more minute die diagnostics and it had vertigre at those sites making their determination impossible. A concern is-- the first thing a dealer looks at is the straight serif,  if its curved they will judge it a fake, so if this is in any slab it will be difficult to sell.

There was a self slabbed MS61 so-called on ebay a few months ago it sold for over $3000.  The coin looked OK from a not great photo. I think though after a long examination and picture blowups it was a counterfeit from a straight serif 1905-S straight serif. with a replaced 6 then die struck from a transfer made die.   It had all the characteristics of such a piece. Also the placement of the 6 was too high.

August 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

slapshock

I think this icg ef-45 1906-s peso from ponterio is genuine. The knob of the 9 is large; the inner loop of the 0 is also straight rather than curve. There is also a die break on the bundle of arrows. A counterfeiter cannot create a fake die break because it is a raised rim. Only the 1906-s peso had that kind of characteristic. The only thing here is a curved serif 1 which is quite unusual. The 6 doesnt look altered as it blends with the inner toning naturally. I contacted ray czahor about this and he himself was amuzed and puzzled to this new characteristic. This was my second time seen this peso with a curved serif. The last one was certified by pcgs ef-40 and possessed the same characteristic that i mentioned above.

August 22, 2012 at 2:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jhinton

I wil post the results from PCGS once I know. 

August 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Have you actually examined the coin yourself or are you just basing it off the photos? I also noticed a repunced on 1, a machine doubling on denticles and the S mintmark does not look right. It might be my eyes or the photo. What was turn around time for the cross over? Anyways, please let us know the results.

August 24, 2012 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jhinton

Stacks is submitting it for the crossover, a condition of my purchase. I have not seen it in person and only judged it by the photos and email traffic with Kent Ponterio, at Stacks and a few other collectors. All belive it to be genuine. Besides the EF-40 example that slapshock mentioned, I have also seen and AU-50 (PCGS) exampe with the same characteristics as this example. I will post an update once I know what PCGS has said on this one as well as post pictures once I have it in hand.

August 29, 2012 at 6:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jhinton

I just received word from Stacks that the 1906-S crossed into a PCGS holder! Pop reports confirm that it crossed at the 45 level. I also got a very nice 1904 Peso upgaded from an ANACS MS63 into a PCGS MS64!

August 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

slapshock

Congratulations! I strongly believed it to be a genuine in the first place. Only the 1 is curved which is very unusual but the rest of it got all the genuine characteristics of the 1906s!!! I am the underbidder of that item on that auctions but i have no hard feelings because i already got a pcgs au-55 already. I just want to make it a curious study material and show it to ray czahor in case i win that item. I also have a 1904(p) peso that was ms66 ngc but it was downgraded by pcgs to ms65... I allow them to do that just to upgrade my pedigree sets. :-)

September 1, 2012 at 2:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Take a look of Justhavingfun 1906S peso on his set registry, it looks like a curved serif on 1 as well. Would this conclude that there are now 3 types existed of this date?

September 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jhinton

It would seem so, though the curve on that MS62 is more like the curve of a 1905-S peso not like the slight curve found on my 1906-S. Could it be that there were indeed some 1906-S peso struck with a fully curved serif?

September 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

I have updated the variety type of the 1906s peso of the mint error/variety section with pictures showing the differences.

September 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jhinton

Nice job! Kinda neat to see one of my coins on there;)

September 7, 2012 at 7:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

malikot

Jhinton at August 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Did anyone here bid on the 1906-S, that just sold? It's in an ICG EF45 holder currenly but I have it on good authority, that it's on it's way to PCGS. ;)

http://stacksbowers.com/Auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?LotID=363475

Hi, I'm one of the under bidder for this coin also. Nice coin

September 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Jhinton at August 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I just received word from Stacks that the 1906-S crossed into a PCGS holder! Pop reports confirm that it crossed at the 45 level. I also got a very nice 1904 Peso upgaded from an ANACS MS63 into a PCGS MS64!

Congratulations!, both coins crossed and an upgrade on a very nice 1904 peso. I am actually the under bidder for that 1904. You certainly have a good eyes picking up those two coins. Keep it up!!

September 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.