Jetblack Coin Gallery

The Home of US-Philippine Certified Coins

Member Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > 20 centavos same obverse and reverse

joshuu

Hi, i am quite new here.Im fond of collecting US-Phil coins.I have a 20 centavos coin with the same obverse and reverse. I just would like to ask the experts or the senior coin collectors if this is listed in Lyman Allen book and how rare is this error?

I will post the coin pics next time.Thanks, Jess

June 17, 2011 at 11:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joshuu

Photobucket

June 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joshuu

Photobucket

June 17, 2011 at 11:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Hi Jess, Nothing like this error were ever listed on Lyman Allen book. If it is real that would be very rare and valuable. Can you post an image of the edge rim.

June 18, 2011 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joshuu

Thanks bill for the info.there is nothing unusual on the edge rim. My plan is to have the coin certified but have second thoughts maybe its fake but I it appears genuine to me and actually I cant believe it that the coin has the same obverse and reverse.I got my lucky coin about 6 months ago.Yeah sure i will take a pic and post it here.Regards, Jess

June 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joshuu

Photobucket

June 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chiefpawpaw

Hello Jess,

That coin would be very valuable if genuine!  I would suggest weighing the coin (seeing how many grams it weighs - it should be 4g), measuring the diameter (should be 21mm) , and making sure it is not magnetic.  If all those check out, then you possibly have a unique error coin!  The next step would be to send it to a trusted third-party grading service.  PCGS is the gold standard. 

June 19, 2011 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joshuu
Thank you chief for the suggestions. Diameter is identical to a 1944 and 1938 20C and its not magnetic.I only have to weigh if its 4 grams.Unfortunately, i dont have a weighing scale.However, its thickness is not the same as a 1938 or 1944, so weight maybe affected.My theory is that the obverse of one coin was accidentally or intentionally pasted or punched to another obverse of a different coin.I can see some traces or evidence on the edges of the coin but still the coin is well struck and the edges are ok.In the realm of possibilities, the original owner of the coin may have this gutsy idea to make it appear the coin has the same obverse and reverse so he did the impossible.Or, during the minting process a severe error occurred, one coin sticked to the machine and punched or pasted to the obverse of another coin.No one is certain but I would love the second possibility, so I have to try and see what happens, Im gonna send the coin to PCGS.Wish me luck guys.
June 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joshuu

The coin weighed at 3.7 grams!!so most probably this is genuine and one of its kind.

June 25, 2011 at 1:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jhinton

I know this is an old thread but .3 grams is a big diffrence on that coin, especialy if it is well struck. More than likely two genuine coins were cut in half to make this coin. My guess is that you woild find a fine seam around the edge. 

August 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.