Jetblack Coin Gallery

The Home of US-Philippine Certified Coins

Member Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > PCGS Verification Problems...

chiefpawpaw

I am addressing this to all members of this forum, but especially Bill (since I know from the PNAS forum that you have had similar issues with PCGS). 

I submitted several US-PI coins to PCGS recently, and after a long wait, they have finally posted the results of the grading online.  Of 12 coins that I submitted, 5 were to be attributed with varieties, however, only 2 of them were attributed.

I have been seriously collecting US-PI coins for several years now, and I like to think that I know my varieties.  Who do I need to contact to get this resolved in a timely manner?  What did you (Bill) do with your 1913-S/S that PCGS incorrectly attributed as "Mintmark Error"?  Any info, GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks and have a good day!

Brett

May 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chiefpawpaw

I will use this coin specifically to illustrate my point.  This is a 1909-S/S/S One Peso, which is clear from even the grainy picture I took, however, this one is being shipped to me with NO DESIGNATION.  I have submitted 2 of these to ANACS previously with no problems whatsoever. 

May 11, 2010 at 10:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Hi Brett, the contact name I was provided was Mike Faraone. Can you tell us which coins attributed and which did not. I also have a coin that crossed ANACS to PCGS but did not get the variety attributed.

What I noticed is that PCGS started using Lymann Allen's variety number from the latest edition book.

May 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chiefpawpaw

Hello friend,

Here are the coins that I submitted for attribution.  The coins that weren't correctly attributed are followed by ***.

1909-S Peso U.S. PHIL Genuine (92 - Cleaned) ***S/S/S not attri***

1944-S 50C U.S. PHIL MS64 ***S/S not attributed***

1914-S 1C U.S. PHIL AU58BN ***Large S not attributed***

1944-D/S 20C U.S. PHIL MS62

1908-S 10C Inverted S U.S. PHIL Genuine (97 - Environmental Damage)

May 12, 2010 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

That 1909-S/S/S is clearly triple punch and should be attributed. The 1914-S Large S has been removed and no longer recognized as Large S. Can you post the image of 1944-S/S 50c.

I assumed that you pay $40.00 per coin for the variety, correct? I wonder if they will reimburse you for those 3 coins that did not attributed.

May 13, 2010 at 3:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Brett, any updates?

June 21, 2010 at 1:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chiefpawpaw

Hello Bill,

I just recently received the 1909-S One Peso back from PCGS for the 2nd time.  This time correctly attributed as Allen 17.04b, 1909-S/S/S, however, it was cleaned, so no numerical grade.  I am still very happy that PCGS decided to reholder this coin.  I will be listing it on ebay tonight, as I am needing to sell some of my collection.

July 27, 2010 at 4:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chiefpawpaw

Bill,

I forgot to post a pic of the 1944-S/S 50c.  My scan is pretty bad, but the bottom of the "S" is where you can see the S/S.  Take a look.

July 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.