Jetblack Coin Gallery

The Home of US-Philippine Certified Coins

Member Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Lyman Allen

Steve

I have the Lyman Allen 6th edition of U.S. Philippine coins (2008 - 2009). Is there a 7th edition available yet with the updated prices and new variety discoveries?

December 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

This is the email I got from the new author of the US-Phil Book.

I have just started a new project with USPI as I am taking over the Lyman Allen book and am trying to write the updated next edition. This will keep me busy and I hope to have it done by early next year.

December 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

New author? What happened to Lyman Allen?

December 9, 2009 at 6:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Steve at 06:34PM on Dec 09, 2009

New author? What happened to Lyman Allen?

Lyman Allen's health as you know is preventing him to continue this project so he decided to sell his rights to the guy name Tom Culhane. Anyone know who Tom Culhane is?

December 9, 2009 at 9:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

I Be No 1

Maybe Tom Culhane of  "The Elusive Spondulix".  www.rarecoin.com

April 22, 2011 at 1:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Oh my bad, missed the n on his last name, but tha's him. Thanks for correcting it.

April 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jpcoins

Does anyone know where i can order a copy of

Lyman Allen 6th edition of U.S. Philippine coins

?thanks

April 25, 2011 at 1:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Ray Czahor should have it, or there is one on ebay starting price at $9.99. Good Luck!

April 25, 2011 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jpcoins

ok i saw it.thank you very much.

April 25, 2011 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

I Be No 1

I just bought a 1st edition copy, signed by L.L. Allen, #'d 55 of 100, for under $50

August 30, 2011 at 12:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chiefpawpaw

I am beginning to wonder if Tom Culhane is even going to publish a new revision of the Lyman Allen catalog....  The values are in desperate need of updating.

August 30, 2011 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

chiefpawpaw at August 30, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I am beginning to wonder if Tom Culhane is even going to publish a new revision of the Lyman Allen catalog....  The values are in desperate need of updating.

How do you determine the price when selling coins without the new revision of the catalog?

September 2, 2011 at 1:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chiefpawpaw

Bill at September 2, 2011 at 1:47 AM

How do you determine the price when selling coins without the new revision of the catalog?

From my experience, for PCGS graded coins, you take the listed price in LA, and multiply it by 1.25 (or up to 1.4) for the expected sale price.  It just depends on availability of a given coin.

September 2, 2011 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

chiefpawpaw at September 2, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Bill at September 2, 2011 at 1:47 AM

From my experience, for PCGS graded coins, you take the listed price in LA, and multiply it by 1.25 (or up to 1.4) for the expected sale price.  It just depends on availability of a given coin.

Would this apply to fully RED coins or you use a different percentage?

September 3, 2011 at 12:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chiefpawpaw

Well,  there is no exact formula, but having a more scarce coin or specially attributed coin (i.e. RPD, RPM, DDO, RED cents) should definately add about 15% to the value, imo.

September 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

I Be No 1

Met Tom Culhane Saturday, September 10th at Illinois Numismatic Association 52nd Coin & Currency Show at the Tinley Park Convention Center in Tinley  Park, Illinois. He hopes to get the book out next year. Picked up some nice raw PI coins from him. Unfortunately he didn't bring any slabbed ones.

September 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

I Be No 1

The new 21012 7th edition of US/PI COINS is now out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251054425049?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

May 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Thanks for the heads up. Was there a drastic change in price? Any new feature added?

May 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jhinton

I own the newest addition but am wondering if any of the older ones contain additional information. I was a little dissapointed about the lack of information of pictures of varieties in this book. If anyone could recommend any other books on this series I would greatly appreciate it.

July 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill
Site Owner

Jhinton at July 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I own the newest addition but am wondering if any of the older ones contain additional information. I was a little dissapointed about the lack of information of pictures of varieties in this book. If anyone could recommend any other books on this series I would greatly appreciate it.

The same here, very disappointed. No photos of the variety, the font size and page orientation are not consistent. Not much price difference from a four year old previous book 6th edition.

The 6th edition of Lyman Allen is most recommended if you need to see a photo of the variety. I think this book is still available from Ray Czahor.

July 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.